The prevention of dental caries children 0-3 years
Information from The Department of Health Prevention Toolkit.
Children 0-3 years
- From 6 months of age should be introduced to drinking from a cup.
- At 12 months taking any liquids from a feeding bottle should be discouraged, especially at night.
- Sugar should not be added to foods or drinks.
- Parents should be brushing twice a day when teeth erupt.
- A smear of fluoride toothpaste containing no less than 1000 ppm F should be used.
- Frequency of sugar snacks should be controlled.
- Sweet foods should be consumed at meal times only.
- Doctors and dentist should only prescribe sugar-free medicines.